Editor’s Note: Here’s a student-focused article written by an intern in the Nichols College Office of Marketing and Communications about off-campus activities for those without vehicles. We thought it was a fun, informative read you could share with your students.
BY KATE-LYNN SCHRAFFA ’18
If you’re having trouble getting off campus, look no further!
While most Nichols College students have the option to bring a car to campus, there are cases when some cannot. With this being said, the Office for Student Involvement makes sure all students have access to off-campus outings. On top of this, our Social Programming Board hosts many off-campus trips that are worth taking advantage of. It’s definitely worth looking into—just think about all the gas money you could save!
The Office of Student Involvement offers student-driven shuttle busses that travel to various area locations. These shuttles operate on set days and times and are available to be rented by student groups and classes. The shuttles are on call Sunday through Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., and pick up students in front of Daniels Auditorium. The shuttle is also used when the Office of Student Involvement hosts special events. Shuttles travel near and far to help students who do not have transportation on campus.
Here are some of the places the shuttle can take you:
- If you’re running out of snacks or need some extra dorm room necessities, the shuttle makes regular trips to local grocery stores and Walmart.
- When you’re looking to catch a new movie, the shuttle travels to the Blackstone Valley Cinema de Lux theater in Millbury.
- For students who have a long way home over breaks, the shuttle will assist by bringing you to Worcester’s Union Station.
- Shuttles will coordinate special trips over the weekends such as to the Wrentham Outlets, Patriot Place at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Providence Place Mall, Boston, and more!
SOCIAL PROGRAMMING BOARD
The Nichols Social Programming Board (SPB) hosts a variety of fun off-campus events that students look forward to each year. Be sure to check your email and campus bulletin boards for exciting happenings. If you’re looking to join SPB, they meet weekly on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. in Fels 323. New members are welcome to join and suggest fun ideas for campus events.
Check out some of the fun places SPB brings students:
- When you’re feeling extra festive during the holidays, SPB plans trips for students to spend an October day in Salem, Mass., and a December day in New York City.
- If you want some thrill in your life, SPB has brought students to Six Flags and Sky Zone.
- For the “wicked” sports fans, SPB has coordinated trips to see the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins.
- SPB also plans movie nights at the Blackstone Valley movie theater.
Paid rideshare vehicles can be ordered by students to travel essentially anywhere. The apps are free to download and after you set up your profile you have the flexibility to travel where you need. Make sure you order your rides ahead of time to be sure you get to your desired destination on time.
For future off-campus events, check your emails for the weekly Bison Beat and take a look at campus bulletin boards. Take part in clubs like SPB, or drop by the Office of Student Involvement. The Nichols community is always planning fun events that provide students with the opportunity to enjoy themselves off campus.
Kate-Lynn Schraffa is a senior marketing major at Nichols College and an intern in the Nichols Office of Marketing and Communication.