Austin DuVarney to Serve as Nichols College ‘President for a Day’

Nichols College President Susan West Engelkemeyer, Ph.D., has announced that the 5th Annual President for a Day will be Austin DuVarney of West Boylston, Mass.

“It’s an absolute honor to be President for a Day,” said the senior communication major. “Representing the growing presence of arts students at Nichols College means a great deal to me. It shows that this school is expanding and helping students of all areas succeed in their field. From this experience, I hope to gain perspective into the importance of decision making and holding a high role here on campus. I plan to bring enthusiasm, a big smile, and a plan of action that will hopefully help students for years to come.”

During this special day each spring, President Engelkemeyer swaps roles with a Nichols College full-time undergraduate day student to experience student life. Meanwhile, the lucky student gets to experience what it’s like to be a college president. And while the President breaks out her backpack and attends the student’s classes and other on-campus commitments, the student attends the President’s meetings and partakes in other obligations and duties.

President Engelkemeyer shared that she is excited to work with DuVarney and switch roles with him on Wednesday, April 3.

The Search Committee and I enjoyed reviewing the applications, and the selection was a difficult one,” she added. “I want to thank the students who submitted an application and encourage all students to apply next year. Please join me in congratulating Austin.”